April is a great month to start Spring cleaning, whether you’re looking to sell your home, or just tidy up after a long winter. Here are our top Spring-cleaning recommendations, followed by some pro tips and local lists.
- Declutter and organize your living spaces. Take a moment to walk around your kitchen, living and dining rooms. Note items that you no longer want or need and start creating a pile to yard sale or donate (local Sunapee Region recommendations below!).
- Dust the hard-to-reach places – fans, light fixtures, picture frames, high shelves and bookcases.
- Wash bedding and linens.
- Wash or dry-clean curtains and dust blinds.
- Wash floors and steam clean carpets (rental recommendations below).
- Clean bathrooms and discard any old linens/towels that you do longer use.
- Clean windows inside and out (see pro tips below).
- Move larger furniture items such as couches and chairs to vacuum, dust and clean underneath.
- Wipe down baseboards.
- Check and clean out dryer vents.
- Bathrooms: wash fabric shower curtains and remove ceiling fan covers to clean out dust.
- Kitchen: Deep clean the inside of your appliances including your oven, microwave and refrigerator. If possible, pull appliances away from walls to clean underneath.
GARAGES AND BASEMENTS
Especially if you are looking to sell your home, putting effort into these two spaces can provide a big return. Buyers pay a lot of attention to the amount of storage space they perceive a home to have. Declutter items that you no longer use and organize the rest so the space is easy to walk around and visualize.
EXTERIOR CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
- Sweep dirt from walkways.
- Power wash decks and siding if needed.
- Clean off exterior lighting and replace bulbs that burnt out.
- Freshen up your mailbox.
- Remove fallen leaves and branches from the yard.
- Reseal driveways if needed.
- Check and repair any damaged fences or gates.
PRO TIPS AND HELPFUL INFO
Windows, mirrors and anything glass – Invest in a set of e-clothes, they make streak-free window cleaning a breeze! If you’re shopping locally, you can find e-cloths at Rocky’s Ace Hardware in New London.
Carpet Cleaner Rentals - You can rent carpet cleaners at both Belletetes in Andover and Rocky’s Ace Hardware in New London.
YARD SALE AND CONSIGNMENT
Any weekend in the summer is great for a yard sale, but in the Sunapee Region, many households and organizations host large yard sales during Memorial Day Weekend. If you’d rather donate or consign items, here are a few recommendations:
VNA Renaissance Shoppe, New London
Donations can be brought over on Fridays and Saturdays. If you have large items, call and ask about pick-up options.
St. Andrew’s Thrift Store, New London
Accepts seasonal, gently used clothing and some non-electronic household items.
Sunapee Thrift Shop, Sunapee
Founded by Sunapee Seniors to offer scholarships to the Sunapee School District.
Go Lightly Consignment, New London
Clothing boutique and home and gallery items accepted.
Newport Thrift Shoppe, Newport
Thrift and consignment store for clothing and housewares.
Switchback Consignment, New London
Clothing for adults and kids, accessories and more!
Prospect Hill, Sunapee
Specializing in antiques, home furnishings and art.
Don’t let Spring cleaning or preparing to sell overwhelm you. If you need help, we know several professionals who can assist with everything from cleaning your home and yard work, to helping you remove unwanted items. Give us a call at 603-252-3428 or send us an email and we would be happy to connect you!